Individual Evaluation of Managers
Individual evaluation or assessment of top management is the most complex method which requires assessor's profound theoretical knowledge and significant business experience. This method and assessment tools applied are developed individually for each executive taking into account individual business tasks.
We have a whole array of unique tools recognized internationally and in Russia as well as exclusively developed by ARTISAN.
What qualities of top managers are recognized to be the most important in Russia and are often evaluated during assessment sessions?
- Leadership – ability to manage the team successfully, inspire and motivate employees so that they could achieve better results
- Managerial competencies Ц theoretical knowledge and hands-on experience of enterprise management: planning, building, optimizing and control of various business processes
- Entrepreneurship - constant striving for business development and search for new business opportunities
- Innovation and initiative
- Communication skills Ц ability to successfully cooperate within and outside a company, creating a positive working culture
- Financial literacy Ц ability to understand financial categories, reasoning in terms of value growth, achieving financial results and reducing costs
- Responsibility, self-discipline
What stages are included in the project of management assessment?
- First of all, a precise description of the goals and objectives of management assessment. For example, evaluation of internal or external candidates for the vacant position, identification of employees who possess managerial potential, regular performance appraisal of staff and management and so on.
- A detailed description of functional duties, level of decision-making and responsibility of the assessed manager. Such description is made on the basis of detailed interviews with those who ordered management assessment and with evaluated managers themselves.
- Drafting an evaluation plan, preparing detailed methodical materials and instructions for exercises, case studies, tests, games and business simulations.
- Preparation of materials for assessors and observers.
- Preparation of materials for evaluated managers.
- Conducting assessment and analyzing of observations.
- Preparing the final report for the customers of the project. If necessary, we also prepare individual reports or presentations for participants of the project.
What tools are best suited and commonly used for management assessment in Russia?
- Case study. Case studies have been successfully used during assessment of top management. This tool has several advantages over other methods: firs of all, a case can be adapted to the actual activity of a top manager and can be performed individually, the results of case study can be handled more carefully and more structurally compared to business games observation.
- Business games and simulations. Despite the fact that this tool is quite difficult to use, it is often indispensable for management assessment : business games are one of the best ways to evaluate communicative skills and identify leadership potential.
- Psychological testing. This tool has undergone a lot of ups and downs in its lifetime. General enthusiasm for psychological tests gave way to a complete neglect of this technology. Nowadays psychological tests are coming back, but they are applied differently Ц not as a basis for making drastic HR decisions, but as an additional and useful tool to manage personnel taking into consideration their natural potential. This method is even more important for top management: the higher the position and level of responsibility, the more crucial the role of personality and emotional intelligence against “technical” knowledge and skills.†